Weight Loss. What is the secret sauce to this ever elusive goal?
Well, let me tell you the secret that no one wants to hear - no single supplement or vitamin alone will help you lose weight. These supplements and vitamins are suppose to support your efforts alongside healthy eating and exercise.
Most supplements or vitamins out there are designed to:
- Reduce appetite, by making you feel full
- Build muscle mass, burn more calories during rest
- Increase metabolism, again, burn more calories during rest
- Increase energy
- Reduce absorption of fat
- Increase fat burn
- Regulate hormones which affects fat storage
- Improve gut health bacteria
Depending on what you want, you can strategically choose the one that best suits your goal.
Here are our top 5 supplements and vitamins for weight loss:
Garcinia Cambogia is a tropical fruit found predominantly in South East Asia and is well known for its weight loss aid. The skin of the fruit contains a compound called hydroxycitric acid (HCA) which is the component that helps with weight loss.
There are several health benefit claims on taking Garnicia Cambogia:
- Prevents fat storage by blocking an enzyme called citrate lyase and reducing production of bad cholesterol
- Increases level of serotonin in the body which suppresses appetite and improves your mood
- Reduces risk of Type 2 Diabetes by helping regulate blood sugar levels in the body. Although not recommended for those who already have diabetes.
Although there have been studies performed with Garcinia Cambogia, most researchers agree that there requires a a longer-term and wider-scale clinical trial to determine the effectiveness on obesity.
So far, results that show its effectiveness come from a 2011 study published in the Journal of Obesity showed participants who took Garcinia Cambogia lost around 2 pounds more than those who did not take it. On a separate study performed on rats, it concludes that intake suppresses food intake and inhibits weight gain.
Probiotics are live bacteria and yeasts that live naturally in your body and are good for you. You can these good bacterias from miso, tempeh, yoghurt, kimchi, kefir, pickles - basically, foods that are fermented.
So how does this help with weight loss? There has been studies that found those who are overweight have different gut bacteria to the average weight person. In addition, there tends to be less diverse gut bacteria in an overweight person.
The gut bacteria in question that helps with weight loss are those from the Lactobacillus family which is claimed to inhibit the absorption of dietary fat and increasing the fat excreted from the body.
By improving your gut health, it helps improve inflammation which is strongly linked to obesity. It can also release appetite regulating hormones to help burn calories and decrease fat storage.
Apart from the weight loss factor, there are other health benefits that come with consuming probiotics:
- Improves mental health: An increasing number of studies show that there is a strong link between gut health and mood.
- Improves heart health: Decreases bad cholesterol and blood pressure
- Boosts Immune system: By promoting the the production of natural antibodies in the body
- Reduces severity of eczema in children
Raspberry Ketones is a chemical found in raspberries and other berries such as blackberries and cranberries. It takes about 1kg of raspberries to extract 1 - 4mg of raspberry ketones and its what gives raspberries that signature scent.
Raspberry Ketones are widely touted to increase the bodies production of a protein called adiponectin that is used to break down fat storage and regulate metabolism. In research, performed on animals, it has shown an increase in metabolism and reduction in appetite.
There are other health benefits associated with Raspberry Ketones:
- High in antioxidants which decreases inflammation and risks of cardiovascular diseases
- May reduce liver disease (proven in studies with animals)
- Improve brain health
Nutarium's Oxy Burn, contains raspberry ketones in its premium thermogenesis blend.
B Vitamins play an important role in supporting your body's metabolism including using the stored energy in food and metabolizing carbs, proteins and fats.
Within the B Vitamins group, vitamin B12 plays a key role in fat metabolism and studies have shown that there is a link between a deficiency in Vitamin B12 and increase fat storage and obesity.
Another vitamin within the B group known to help with weight loss is, Vitamin B6. Vitamin B6 helps the body store energy from protein and carbs. Studies have shown that taking B6 supplements have been found to improve the ratio of fat and lean muscle in your body.
There are many other health benefits with the B Vitamins group:
- For pregnant women, B Vitamins help with fetal brain development as well as easing nausea in morning sickness
- For men, it is claimed to increase testosterone levels which helps build muscles and increase strength
Nutarium's Emergency Immune Support contains 3.4mg of B6 from the B Vitamin group.
Green Tea Extract
Green Tea Extract is often known for its weight loss properties with studies that show participants who take green tea extract burn more calories and and lose more weight than those who don't.
The two compounds in green tea extract that supports weigh loss are caffeine and catechins both shown to assist in weight loss by regulating hormones that enhance thermogenesis (our bodies ability to burn calories)
Not only does it have weight loss benefits but there are several other health benefits including;
- High potency of antioxidants
- Helps regulate blood sugar levels
- Supports heart health
- Reduces mental decline
Nutarium's Oxy Burn contains green tea extract within its premium thermogenesis blend.
Our articles should be used for informational and educational purposes only and are not intended to be taken as medical advice. If you’re concerned, consult a health professional before taking dietary supplements or introducing any major changes to your diet.